96% of the universe undefined and not understood

Articles of interest from our science department:

Another surprising twist came with the conclusion that the universe is comprised of approximately 4 percent ‘real’ matter and 23 percent dark matter, while the remaining 73 percent is composed of dark energy. The real mystery lies in the fact that dark matter and dark energy have yet to be understood and defined.

This comes as part of data which may support one variant of the big bang theory, that of “inflation”, which suggests that different parts of the universe expanded at different rates, and this may help account for the creation of stars etc.

But really, I’m just liking the acknowledgement that 96% of whatever the hell we can tell exists (so far) is totally beyond our understanding, and the sheer potential represented therein. (As opposed to the wayyy too much we think we “know” about the other 4% :))

No Responses to “96% of the universe undefined and not understood”

  1.   scarletmanuka
    April 27th, 2006 | 3:50 pm

    Most people fill that 96% with god.

  2. November 17th, 2009 | 9:53 pm

    […] We have blogged about dark matter a few years back, and have been tracking it a little as it is interesting if mysterious stuff. […]