US missile defence system goes live

Well, shit.

A few years back the USA unilaterally reneged on the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, a hallmark of the cold-war era, whose purpose was to prevent anyone being able to tip the scales of Mutually Assured Destruction. Basically, if you can shoot down your opponents missiles, and they can’t shoot down yours, you may be tempted to think a massive nuclear strike is survivable. More a less a prerequisite for sanity would be understanding that anything which makes the use of nuclear weapons more appealling should be avoided.

When the US abandoned the ABM treaty, much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued about the likely resurgence of a global arms race. Fortunately, the repeated failed tests and enormous expense of the ABM system seemed to make it a moot point, despite the clear enthusiasm to get it going regardless.

So now apparently the USA has activated a missile defense system, allegedly due to fear of threats from North Korea testing a missile that may be capable of reaching Alaska. (Remember, the US maintains a military presence over most of the globe, and possesses the ability to bomb any country in the world, and has bombed more countries than any other nation since WW2). ((Oh, and look, US rejects N Korea’s offer of talks over missile test. Gee. Anyone pursuing their agenda at all costs?))

“There’s real caution in how to characterize it so as to not be provocative in our own approach,” the defense official said of the move to activate the system.

The world just became less secure. A peaceful world just became less likely. Unless you count a quasi-fascist pax-Amerikana rule by the gun. But then, everyone in the world who doesn’t want that just got more motivated to bring it down by any means. This move will increase terrorism.

“The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.” Princess Leia to Vader.

(Yeah, I can’t believe I quote Star Wars either. This is the lengths we go to to communicate with the masses…)

No Responses to “US missile defence system goes live”

June 22nd, 2006 | 1:41 pm

Did you ever read about how furious George Lucas was when Reagan co-opted the name Star Wars for their missle defence system? Apparently he sued, and lost.

Much like Bruce Springsteen’s amazement when Reagan used Born in the USA as his election song. Ever actually listened to the lyrics of that song?

Born down in a dead man’s town
    The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
    You end up like a dog that’s been beat too much
    ‘Til you spend half your life just covering up

I got in a little hometown jam
    And so they put a rifle in my hands
    Sent me off to Vietnam
    To go and kill the yellow man

Come back home to the refinery
    Hiring man says “Son if it was up to me”
    I go down to see the V.A. man
    He said “Son don’t you understand”

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
    Fighting off the Viet Cong
    They’re still there, he’s all gone
    He had a little girl in Saigon
    I got a picture of him in her arms

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
    Out by the gas fires of the refinery
    I’m ten years down the road
    Nowhere to run, ain’t got nowhere to go

I’m a long gone Daddy in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A.
    I’m a cool rocking Daddy in the U.S.A.
    Born in the U.S.A.

2.   scott k
    June 23rd, 2006 | 8:38 am

Billy, you’ve just got to lighten up, man. I personally WELCOME a comprehensive missle shield for the US. It ensafens and protectorizes me. I feel more democratic than ever. The arsenal of the skies is my friend. After shopping I will enter a cafe. There shall I drink coffee. In time the bullet will enter the back of my brain, and Lo, I shall become the essence of freedom itself. Amen.
    PS – Pearce, the reason people never picked up on the real darkness of Born in the USA was that it was disguised as such a fist-punching anthem. The original version was recorded during the Nebraska sessions, just Bruce and an acoustic, and it is a bleak, bitter, and truly spooky rendition, far superior to the rabble-rouser it became.

3.   Scott A
    June 23rd, 2006 | 1:56 pm

“Out of curiousity, has this come through to anyone’s awareness through a normal mainstream media news source?”

I did, well sort-of. A comment about the US activating it’s missile defense systems was tagged to the last two lines of a teletext page about the “North Korean missile threat” I read last night. Given teletext’s source, the same lines would’ve been on the briefs that Reuters sent to all their subscribers.

Darn it; I hate to sound cynical, paranoid or even, perhaps, a conspiracy theorist. But I can’t escape this thought:

Given the inability of any independent source to verify what is actually happening in North Korea, what is there to say that this entire “missle test” crisis was not just manufactured by US State Department press release to enable the US to have an excuse to bring this destablising missile defense system on line?

Especially given that NK never launched this alleged long range missle, and given that a liquid fueled missile like that *must* be launced shortly after being fueled, or the fuel will corrode fuel tanks within days. This missile was, tremble tremble, on the launch pad and fueled to be tested last weekend, apparently. But nothing happened…

June 23rd, 2006 | 2:50 pm

I read somewhere that N Korea had recently test fired a missile that flew over Japan into the ocean. So there may be some missile capability. On the other hand, that the US would play it up and intentionally mislead and general block progress so that they can pursue their agenda is also extremely likely.

Of course, the ability of an independent sovereign nation to shoot a few missiles is far from a crisis in today’s world, and would seem well within right. The unbending hypocrisy astounds any who fail to see this is about the bully maintaining dominance of the playground.

June 23rd, 2006 | 2:51 pm

Scott K: Yeah, I got that original version and it rules. I always figured that the released version was supposed to be ironic, especially if you see the video (directed by John Sayles) which contrasts Bruce performing ecstatically on stage with homeless people by barbed wire fences, poor people standing in a welfare queue, etc.

Scott A: I don’t think there’s anything particularly cynical or paranoid about thinking the current US administration might be involved in conspiracies. After all, they have been involved in conspiracies. Even the mainstream media has picked up on that.

6.   Andymac
    June 25th, 2006 | 9:33 pm

On another note that’s irrelevant to the discussion, Born in the USA has always stood out for me as one of my favourite albums. It’s a piece of work with some of the most ‘rawking sounds’ but with some of the bleaker and penetrating lyrics I’ve ever heard. Like say Glory Days… The contrast is stunning.

Right, as you were :-).