test tube meat

Comin’ at ya.

Chomp

…the easiest way to create edible tissue is to grow “meat sheets,” which are layers of animal muscle and fat cells stretched out over large flat sheets made of either edible or removable material. The meat can then be ground up or stacked or rolled to get a thicker cut.

Chomp

“To produce the meat we eat now, 75 (percent) to 95 percent of what we feed an animal is lost because of metabolism and inedible structures like skeleton or neurological tissue,” says Matheny. “With cultured meat, there’s no body to support; you’re only building the meat that eventually gets eaten.”

Chomp.

“Cultured meat isn’t natural, but neither is yogurt,” says Matheny. “And neither, for that matter, is most of the meat we eat. Cramming 10,000 chickens in a metal shed and dosing them full of antibiotics isn’t natural. I view cultured meat like hydroponic vegetables. The end product is the same, but the process used to make it is different. Consumers accept hydroponic vegetables. Would they accept hydroponic meat?”

Oddly, I left out most of the disturbing bits.

No Responses to “test tube meat”

June 28th, 2006 | 2:48 pm

Does this mean that animal rights veggies will be able to eat sausages guilt-free?

June 28th, 2006 | 2:58 pm

Maybe. But anyone squicked out about eating meat in the first place is likely to be squicked out by eating freaky vat-grown meat.

June 28th, 2006 | 6:19 pm

I’d have thought that it depends on whether they’re in the “oh the poor widdle bunny” category or not.

4.   R-bot
    June 28th, 2006 | 7:17 pm

I personally can’t wait for the day that I get to carve a slice of Chickbaconcheese for my sammie. No more fooling around with those outdated animals. I’d also pray for a disasterous mishap involving the meat-factory and something radioactive. Or the backlash when it turns out to be human meat cells everyone has been eating, because they are tastier [they are].

And more on point, what will they make sausages out of when there are no vital organs left?

This may sound like a sick future, but it will probably result in higher quality meat. The first batches would probably be cyst ridden, but as you learn how to grow meat [meatology?], you could determine all the characteristics of the meat, and the consumer would reap them benefits. That’s right. The glorious benefits of meat. Meat-cheesecake anyone?

June 29th, 2006 | 1:16 pm

They just need to create a public holiday based around meatcake.

June 29th, 2006 | 2:20 pm

Now I’m imagining a song called Meatcake, to the tune of a song called Milkshake.

I’m not sure if it should be based on the Kelis song:

My meatcake brings all the boys to the yard
    And they’re like, it’s better than yours
    Damn right, it’s better than yours
    I could teach you, but I’d have to charge

Boys wanna know how my meatcake taste,
    Damn, fantasize when they look in my face

or the Village People song:

Do the cake, do the ca-a-ake
    Do the meatcake, the meatcake, yeah

When you’re at work today
    And it is time for your coffee break
    Why don’t you treat yourself
    To a big thick and meaty cake
    When it is time for lunch
    A meatcake goes with your sandwich too
    Just have yourself a feast
    See what a meatcake can do for you (yeah-eah-yeah-yeah-eah)

7.   Timb
    June 30th, 2006 | 9:25 am

Isn’t George from K1500’s nzmusic logon ‘Meatcake’? =D

8.   Ehab Tawfik
    November 15th, 2007 | 3:39 pm

Hello…Man i just love your blog, keep the cool posts comin..holy Wednesday