tired

I would like it if the world, and particularly humanity, would impress the fuck out of me sometime really soon.

Sometimes I think we are wilfully ignorant of our history and true nature. We prefer the shining image of civilisation, and attribute barbarism to the far off past, before neckties and cups of tea.

Savagery never went away, it just got given power tools.

No Responses to “tired”

September 21st, 2006 | 11:24 am

Well, the Hugo Chavez, the Venezualan President, has just stood up in the UN and called Bush “the devil”, saying “The hegemonistic pretensions of the American empire are placing at risk the very existence of the human species,” among other things. That impressed me.

September 21st, 2006 | 12:45 pm

Chavez rocks.

3.   homeperm
    September 21st, 2006 | 11:40 pm

that post made me feel like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. i am glad i didn’t read it yesterday. yesterday i was thinking something very similar. sometimes people think injustice and discrimination etc… are things of a past age and now we are enlightened. i wish.

4.   The Scarlet Manuka
    September 22nd, 2006 | 10:49 am

homeperm: I don’t think people think that injustice and discrimination are relics of the past as such. What people think is that “it’s happening to other people in far off lands, and while that’s a bummer and all, it doesn’t really affect me. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to let it happen to me by stealth because I choose ‘security’ over freedom, while thinking I’m choosing freedom”.

5.   Scott K
    September 22nd, 2006 | 1:25 pm

Billy, I’ve teamed up with some forward-thinking individuals, all chosen from the ranks of humanity, and we are currently deliberating over plans the sole aim of which is to impress you. I don’t want to spoil the surprise, but I can say that there will be show-trials, singing children, ice-skating, collective agricultural efforts, and a series of highly choreographed public executions performed to the soothing tones of Iron Maiden. Some might say it’s a lot of effort to go to, but if we can do anything to help restore your faith in us, then it will have been worth it. Right, now though, I’m off to burn down some houses.

PS – The whole Chavez speech can currently be found on the Counterpunch website. The man begins by waving a copy of Chomsky about and advising delegates to read it. He calls Bush Satan. And then he finishes by doing some improv break-dancing. Truly, how can you despair?

September 22nd, 2006 | 1:54 pm

Man, the Chavez speech is really worth reading. Link. 🙂

September 22nd, 2006 | 3:03 pm

I heard the Chavez speech on the radio. His tone of voice is worth hearing.

The US dude said he wasn’t going to respond to Chavez’s “comic book politics” – has the man never heard Bush talk about terrorists?!? “The evil ones,” “They hate our freedom,” and other great Marvel comics moments.

8.   cal
    September 23rd, 2006 | 12:01 pm

Pearce- DC comics bro. Frank Miller is writing for DC comics.

– morgue in disguise as cal

September 25th, 2006 | 10:34 am

I was thinking about The Ultimates, actually, where Captain America and Iron Man are Bush’s personal lap-dogs.