this apparently is the future happening now

1. The prison comes to the mall.

The police are to set up “retail jails” on high streets and in busy shopping malls to detain yobs and other offenders for up to four hours under Home Office proposals published yesterday.

Talks are under way to open the first of these short-term holding cells in Selfridges department store on Oxford Street in London. The five purpose-built rooms would be smaller than normal cells and made of Perspex so that suspects are visible.

Article continues
The police will also gain sweeping extensions to their powers to take fingerprints and DNA samples from anyone they suspect of committing a crime. In addition, the proposals appear to lift the barriers that separate the police fingerprint and DNA databases from the new national identity register.

(via exploding aardvark)

2. Twenty-seven million slaves exist in our world today. Girls and boys, women and men of all ages are forced to toil in the rug loom sheds of Nepal, sell their bodies in the brothels of Rome, break rocks in the quarries of Pakistan, and fight wars in the jungles of Africa. (via disinfo)

3. Science hopes to change events that have already occurred

Researchers are on the verge of experiments that will finally hold retrocausality’s feet to the fire by attempting to send a signal to the past. What’s more, they need not invoke black holes, wormholes, extra dimensions or other exotic implements of time travel. It should all be doable with the help of a state-of-the-art optics workbench and the bizarre yet familiar tricks of quantum particles. If retrocausality is confirmed — and that is a huge if — it would overturn our most cherished notions about the nature of cause and effect and how the universe works.

The article is really fascinating for anyone with a physics bent or an interest such matters.

4. Angelina Jolie is joining the Council on Foreign Relations

Which is just so whacked out I don’t know what to say. (via postatomic)

5. Inkjet printers capable of printing organic microchips

6. Scientists wipe out a single specific memory from rats

(last two via kurzweilAI)

7. The UK military upgraded their Trident nuclear program to a more flexible, war-making oriented setup… in secret, before the government got around to voting on whether or not to upgrade the program at all

8. Finally, of course, the richest are richer than ever, richer than ever before in human history.

Okay. I hope y’all are keeping up with hyperreality. What else is happening?

9 Responses to “this apparently is the future happening now”

1.   Rich
    March 16th, 2007 | 11:22 am

Nothing the Blair government does amazes me anymore, so I just won’t comment apart from that I’m glad I don’t live there any more..

5. is cool though! I’m wondering if this can print onto fabric so that I can have a glowing, thinking t-shirt. (actually any flexible plastic would do for this…)

2.   Andrew
    March 17th, 2007 | 2:40 pm

4. Why is this whacked out?

Quoting from the link you provided:
    a) Angelina Jolie is “a U.N. goodwill ambassador who has taken more than 30 trips worldwide to advocate for refugees, AIDS orphans and disaster victims.” And
    b) “The group requires no academic credentials but looks for members who take part in world affairs.”

So there should be nothing terribly whacked out from that angle. Though in pointing that out, I don’t want that to imply I think she has no academic credentials (I have no idea). At any rate, point b should indicate that the work of the Council is not going to be pure academic, even if it has academics or adacemically-inclined members. Even if the council is appointing her as a token bimbo, this in no way says anything about the person but only about the Council.

(nb: as an adjunct to my first question, and trying to keep my own prejudices in front of me, how far am I justified in seeing “Jolie = bimbo” as the tacit assumption in 1. the article, and 2. your surprise?)

March 17th, 2007 | 3:06 pm

Andrew: I guess it depends on the extent to which you consider the Council on Foreign Relations to be a synonym of “Evil Manipulating Powerbrokers of the New World Order”, (As an example this is the fifth link for a google search on the COFR.) That is very much the frame of reference in which I was approaching it as kind of whacked out.

4.   Andrew
    March 17th, 2007 | 4:42 pm

Cheney, Greenspan, Kissinger and Rice? Manipulating powerbrokers? 😉 Actually, if I’m keeping all my prejudices in front of me, it should seem fairly obvious that this was your frame of reference. The article you linked to, though (the NY Post one) is all the worse for rereading…

5.   Richard
    March 19th, 2007 | 10:22 am

I’ve been concerned about Britain’s slide towards a police state for a while now. This new info sits uncomfortably with me, seeing as I’m planning on heading back there.

Perhaps “V for Vendetta” is a prophetic piece?

March 19th, 2007 | 12:08 pm

Richard: If I was American or British I would be so fucking freaked out by my government.
    Andrew: yeah, I think the tabloid gossip level of it jarred with my usual reading level on COFR matters

7.   Richard
    March 20th, 2007 | 11:34 am

I am British. I am freaked out.

8. April 10th, 2007 | 1:29 pm

[…] Regular readers of the blog will have noticed quite a focus on the trend to a total surveillance society happening in the modern world. Technology is an amazing tool, but the uses to which it is put must be thoroughly questioned in advance. Knowing about it is the first step to stopping it happening here. […]

9.   Zeratulss
    November 13th, 2007 | 5:48 pm

24% of Americans believe that the Internet is able for a time to replace them with a loved one. For obvious reasons, such sentiments particularly prevalent among residents of the United States alone. Both men and women can replace the beloved, beloved trips to the World Network. However, the willingness to such transactions vary among followers of different ideologies: conservatives frowned relate to this idea, and the “progressive-minded” on the contrary, Nerkarat it.

Study company Zogby International also showed that every fourth resident of the United States have their own representation in the web-site or internet-stranichka. Creating internet-dvoynikov most passionate about young people (18-24 years of age) – 78% of them have personal Web page. In doing so, 68% of those surveyed said that the World Wide Web, they do not appear in its original capacity, their virtual overnight seriously different from the real.

Only 11% of Americans would agree implantable microchip in his brain, which would provide them with direct contact with the Internet. But the situation is changing, in the case of children. Almost every fifth resident of the United States would agree to equip their child safety device which would allow him to track the movement in space on the Internet.

10% of U.S. stated that the Internet brings them to God. ” In turn, 6% are convinced that because of the existence of the World Wide Web God away from them.

And how you feel? Sorry bad English.