i needed that

One of my flatmates just finished reading Eidolon.

His reaction went “Fuck. This must be published.” *makes head exploding motions*

Kind of made my day. 🙂

And yes, I really must do something about getting it published.

18 Responses to “i needed that”

1.   d3vo
    May 18th, 2007 | 7:07 pm

Why don’t you let me get you a printed copy that looks like a real book, then you could consider if it felt right. While you are at it you would sell your first 3 copies 🙂

2.   Daryl
    May 19th, 2007 | 2:38 pm

I also believe that it must be published… I fucken loved it.

3.   stephen
    May 21st, 2007 | 10:25 am

Billy, I am still super curious and super keen if you would like another pair of eyes to proof/whatever your work. Let me know..

May 21st, 2007 | 2:33 pm

I actually have copies to hand at the moment, so we should arrange something…

5.   bruce
    May 21st, 2007 | 10:03 pm

I’d buy one!

6.   Scott C
    May 22nd, 2007 | 8:18 am

Yes it deserves to be published – and yes I would buy a copy (actually probably a couple – one for myself and others to give to people)!!

Scott

7.   Daryl
    May 22nd, 2007 | 10:41 am

I’d buy two, too.

8.   d3vo
    May 22nd, 2007 | 8:26 pm

I keeping telling Billy that I want to organise a short run of books through Lulu.com or similar. You get real books, but in very short runs, like 10. I want to buy a copy for me and two for some contacts in my professional networks. And a couple for Billy.

d3vo – 3 copies
    Daryl – 2 copies
    Scott C – 2 copies
    bruce – 1 copy
    billy – copy for his bookshelf

BILLY – MEET THE MARKET, LET ME TAKE SOME ORDERS, you’ve got 8 on this page unsoliticed.

(I’m conslutting to a bank, I can underwrite this)

9.   Scott C
    May 23rd, 2007 | 4:50 pm

Actually depending on prices I would definatly put my hand up for at least 4 copies – one for myself and I can think of at least 3 other people who must read it!

Let me know of prices – and I am absolutley sure that I can find a number of other people who would happily fork out their hard earned cash for this – in my circle alone I can probably think of a dozen folks who would be interested!

If you need to contact me you can at Scott dot Common at gmail.

10.   d3vo
    May 23rd, 2007 | 7:56 pm

A rough guess at number of pages and shipping, I’m guessing something like about $30 to $35 a book. That would be a paperback 6 inch by 9 inch with a colour cover and binding called “perfect binding”. I’m not sure what kind of binding that is.

Books printed this way I believe will look just a like a book you bought from Whitcoulls, it won’t look like one of the manuscripts that billy is handing around.

I can’t do this until Billy agrees however, so you guys need to be asking him. You need to say something like “please let my buy your book in short run before you find a proper publisher.”

11.   Daryl
    May 24th, 2007 | 12:30 pm

“please let my buy your book in short run before you find a proper publisher.”

12.   Scott C
    May 24th, 2007 | 1:50 pm

“please let my buy your book in short run before you find a proper publisher”

Yeah I would put myself down for a minimum of 5 copies 🙂

May 24th, 2007 | 3:10 pm

You people are scaring me, albeit in a flattering kind of way. 🙂

Eidolon needs some touching up before publication in any form. When I finish the second draft of USD I will do something about pursuing publication for Eidolon. It will be unavoidable at that point.

I dislike the idea of vanity publishing in any form, even on request; it feels like a last resort. (Fear my writerly ego.)

OTOH, first rule of the market is “give the people what they want”, so we’ll see. I make no promises.

14.   Richard
    May 25th, 2007 | 11:03 am

Oh please, quit being so precious.

Yeah, it would suck soooo much if people you never met had the opportunity to enjoy your book, or heaven forbid, you made a living from it.

May 25th, 2007 | 1:38 pm

Richard: ?

I would love for people I have not met to have the opportunity to enjoy my book, and make a living from doing it.

However, vanity publishing is a surefire way to ensure that only people you meet have the opportunity to read the book, and ensure you won’t make a living from it. Having a physical book available is only part of it; marketing and distribution is the rest, and indeed, the main thing that a publisher provides.

16.   2trees
    May 26th, 2007 | 5:34 am

Dudes. Air mail one over as soon as you get get one printed. I will even pay for it. hold on…… make that about 3 copies.

17.   R-bot
    May 27th, 2007 | 11:18 pm

I too would like copies+. But I am willing to wait, I don’t want to rush you, because as they say, good things take time. Hmm. Something for the marketing dept: Eidolon, better than cheese.

18.   jeremy
    May 28th, 2007 | 3:04 pm

I am still yet to read the book, and i am still keen to do so… but going by the response of those who have read it, i would pay to get my hands on a copy 🙂