hello Salient readers

A special hello to any Salient readers who drop by. The place is a little bare of late, but there’s plenty of interesting stuff if you poke around. There is a category menu on the sidebar; the About page also may be useful.

(Regular readers of this blog may wish to track down today’s issue of Salient – the drugs special – which features a feature by the dancing moose about television. There may be more over the next couple of issues.)

(Hmm. Just had a look at it. A couple of minor textual edits, I think, but the content is mostly there. There’s a big stupid tag line about P and Shortland St that I didn’t write, and the somewhat obvious Disposable Heroes quote was added. I had no say in the art used.)

6 Responses to “hello Salient readers”

1.   morgue
    September 24th, 2007 | 5:28 pm

Also in this issue: reviews of JAAM’s new issue and Scott Kendrick’s new collection.

2.   Janet
    September 25th, 2007 | 12:33 pm

It’s also on Salient online – salient.org.nz for those of us who can’t easily track down copies of salient cos we’re not on campus 🙂

3.   Janet
    September 25th, 2007 | 12:34 pm

It’s also on Salient online – http://www.salient.org.nz for those of us who can’t easily track down copies of salient cos we’re not on campus 🙂

September 27th, 2007 | 3:22 pm

I will probably repost it here when I get the chance. There will be another article in next week’s Salient, too. And probably one the week after that.

5.   R-Bot
    September 29th, 2007 | 11:16 pm

Just read it. I think I’m going to spend the rest of the evening watching 30 seconds of TV, then reading for 30 seconds. Repeat. Bring on the endorphins.
    Suddenly dial up load times have an upside.

6. September 30th, 2007 | 6:40 pm

Television brought the brutality of war into the comfort of the living room. Vietnam was lost in the living rooms of America – not on the battlefields of Vietnam. Today the tyrant rules not by club or fist, but disguised as a market researcher, he shepherds his flocks in the ways of utility and comfort.

Advertising is the greatest art form of the 20th century. Far more thought and care go into the composition of any prominent ad in a newspaper or magazine than go into the writing of their features and editorials. Ideally, advertising aims at the goal of a programmed harmony among all human impulses and aspirations and endeavors. Using handicraft methods, it stretches out toward the ultimate electronic goal of a collective consciousness. The business of the advertiser is to see that we go about our business with some magic spell or tune or slogan throbbing quietly in the background of our minds. The modern Little Red Riding Hood, reared on singing commercials, has no objection to being eaten by the wolf.

We become what we behold. We shape our tools and then our tools shape us.

I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say.