The Spiritual Path of Magick

“The key phrase of the western mysteries is “Know Thyself.” The whole purpose of the western secret doctrine is to lead you to a greater understanding of yourself. This understanding then translates into the ability to act consistently and congruently in accordance with your own true will. By understanding ourselves, we come to understand the purpose of our existence, and with that purpose clearly in mind, we can accomplish anything.” – Jason Augustus Newcomb.

Succinct, no?

6 Responses to “The Spiritual Path of Magick”

1.   tatjna
    January 22nd, 2008 | 12:30 pm

Way more succinct than me. 😉

2.   morgue
    January 22nd, 2008 | 4:44 pm

I love this quote.

3.   bruce
    January 23rd, 2008 | 9:33 pm

Magick or not, that’s darn good advice!

I do find the elaboration after “know thyself” to be a bit, hmm, static? Do I have one purpose in life? do I have a single true will?

January 24th, 2008 | 11:55 am

He’d be coming from a reasonably Crowleyan/Thelemic background with the “true will” bit.
    Try this.

“True Will is a term found within the mystical system of Thelema—adapted from the philosophy of François Rabelais in 1904 with Aleister Crowley’s writing of The Book of the Law—and is defined at times as a person’s grand destiny in life and at other times as a moment to moment path of action that operates in perfect harmony with Nature. This Will does not spring from conscious intent, but from the interplay between the deepest Self and the entire Universe. Therefore, the enlightened Thelemite is one who is able to eliminate or bypass one’s ego-created desires, conflicts, and habits, and tap directly into the Self/Universe nexus. Theoretically, at this point, the Thelemite acts in alignment with Nature, just as a stream flows downhill, with neither resistance nor “lust of result.””

5.   bruce
    January 24th, 2008 | 11:56 pm

Ah, that I can get behind. Sounds quite Taoist, actually. Thanks!

February 6th, 2008 | 5:41 pm

Re: “the interplay between the deepest Self and the entire Universe” – seems to me like talking about “the interplay between a drop of water and the ocean.” Can they really be conceived of as seperate?