Ingredients to avoid

For 2trees.

Food ingredients to avoid, according to the card in my pocket that I picked up ages ago from somewhere that probably knew what they were talking about:

Colourings:

102 (Tatrazine) – yellow to orange
133 (Brilliant blue FCF)
141 (Chlorophyl copper complex) – bright green, found in processed food
151 (Brilliant black PN) – found in beverages

Preservatives:

249 (Potassium nitrate) found in processed/preserved meats
250/251 (Sodium nitrate) in cheese and processed meats
282 (Calcium propionate) in breads, spreads, jams, chutney, sauces and toppings

Antioxidants: 319, 320, 321.

MSG: 621

Sweeteners:

951 (Aspartame) and
954 (Saccharin) found in junk foods, including those claiming to be diet or sugar free

Magnesium silicate: 553 (anti-caking agent)

Toxic cosmetic ingredients:

Methyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl Paraben
Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolaimne (TEA)
Diazolidinyl Urea, Imidazolidinyl Urea.
Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate
Petrolatum – aka petroleum jelly
Propylene Glycol
PVP/VA Copolymer
Stearalkonium Chloride
Synthetic colours
Synthetic fragrances

8 Responses to “Ingredients to avoid”

1.   2trees
    July 17th, 2009 | 6:55 am

cheers bro thats sweet (real sweet not 951 or 954).

2.   Katie
    July 17th, 2009 | 7:42 am

Hello dancing Moose,

What are the detrimental effects of aspartame? I ingest enough of that to kill a small horse.

(I’m not sure how it would kill the aforementioned horse, but it would)

Cheers,

Katie.

3.   janet
    July 19th, 2009 | 6:39 pm

Do you know why petroleum jelly is on that list? I’ve heard of the rest being toxic but not that one. I get a lot of eczema* so can’t use most body washes shampoos etc. other than stuff like Ecostore.

*mostly gone since I stopped using products with some of the above ingredients in.

4.   bruce
    July 19th, 2009 | 9:45 pm

I must respectfully disagree with the avoiding of petroleum jelly– based entirely on my own experience and no scientific studies.

I’ve used it all my life as a moisturizer/protectant for different skin areas, due to my congenital eczema and generally dry skin.

No problems and only happy successes.

5.   bruce
    July 19th, 2009 | 9:52 pm

No problems and only happy successes.

Oh yeah, I think the guy that invented it ate a blob every day for his whole life and lived to a ripe old age…

no problems mentioned in wikipedia… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

can’t find any problems with it, 2 pages deep on google…?

July 19th, 2009 | 10:15 pm

Depends what your search string is, I guess. A quick google came up with some definite mutterings about breast cancer and general carcinogenic tendencies of petroleum jelly/petrolatum, and it seems to be banned for use in cosmetics in the EU. From one of the more balanced accounts:

“Petrolatum’s only listed concern is possible contamination from polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). PAHs are common contaminants in petrolatum. FDA restricts petrolatum in food to no more than 10 parts per million, and requires petrolatum used in food packaging or drugs to meet impurity restrictions for PAHs.

PAHs are linked to cancer (by 10 sources, including the EPA), reproductive/developmental toxicity (by the EPA’s Toxics Release Inventory, among other sources), endocrine disruption, persistence and bioaccumulation. They are banned for use in cosmetics in Europe and Canada.

In the United States, no requirement for refinement applies for petrolatum in personal care products. Hopefully most manufacturers likely choose refined petrolatum low in PAHs, but there is no guarantee.”

*shrug*

7.   bruce
    July 24th, 2009 | 7:02 pm

egads! my search string was [petroleum jelly bad] All I got were arguments about whether it was a good skin moisturizer or not 🙁

August 5th, 2009 | 8:01 pm