Sunday Mutants 12/9/10

General meta-question: does a link-dump work for people, or would you prefer the high-content-value pieces to get their own posts and more discussion/commentary from me?

The first couple are stuff I came across in the past day rather than culled from the mutants.

* Brief must read:
Juan Cole on the ways in which the 9-11 terror attacks were in violation of Islamic law, emphasising that they were the work of extremist nutjobs that don’t represent the majority of Muslims, the mainstream of whom widely slagged off the attacks.

* Somehow I missed a Kakapo being named an official spokesperson for the NZ government after shagging a BBC cameraman’s head.

YouTube Preview Image

* Must read – Kevin Kelly essay on humans as cyborgs, adaptation, biology, and accelerating evolution. No teaser quotes as this is basically all content. Looking forward to his new book.

* Editor of the New York Times acknowledging that they will someday stop printing the newspaper of record, but have no real idea how to switch to making money online,

* Shoulda posted this days back: brilliant analysis of what the world economy needs, and why, to get us out of recession. The key? More widely shared prosperity. As the gap between the ultra rich and everyone else grows, this needs to be known, understood, and acted on.

* Good summary of the paleo diet and philosophy. Worth knowing about, maybe experimenting with.

* And this is just cool: short video explaining how the opening shots of Blade Runner were done.

8 Responses to “Sunday Mutants 12/9/10”

1.   tatjna
    September 13th, 2010 | 7:27 am

I like your posts with commentary.

September 13th, 2010 | 9:14 am

That paleo thing looks like it has some interesting stuff in it, but it also seems to me to be romanticising.

3.   morgue
    September 13th, 2010 | 9:26 am

I am comfortable with linky posts like this, unsurprisingly, but commentary is always welcome – I read your posts without fail.

4.   Steve Hickey
    September 13th, 2010 | 1:02 pm

I like the link-posts. If there’s anything in them you want to dig into further, then followup posts would be good too.

5.   michael
    September 14th, 2010 | 5:50 pm

We had a guy talk paleo diet at my work and a lot of his assumptions seemed completely bunk. Lots of sexy Texan Sharpshooter fallacy action (thanks You’re Not So Smart blog)

6.   bruce
    September 15th, 2010 | 7:13 pm

Plenty of commentary in this one to guide me towards what I like to investigate. Thanks for continuing to write! Sure, more exposition if you are in the mood…

7.   billy
    September 16th, 2010 | 2:21 am

re: paleo. my main source of info on it is a friend who is among other things a chef who is really into food, and body modification/diet stuff. he tried it for quite a while and had good results. in general his take is that even the default food pyramid is pretty dodgy, and that once you scratch beneath the surface there really are no rules regarding diet beyond try things and see what works for you.

re: linky. cheers for your thoughts. will see what emerges.

September 30th, 2010 | 10:46 am

That Blade Runner thing is awesome. I watched the whole making-of doco this week (three and a half hours – all of it interesting) and there was a LOT of good stuff in the FX section.

Like how a number of the buildings in the cityscape (not the one from the start, in the movie in general) are recycled props. They say at one point “including a spaceship from another movie” – and though they don’t name it, when they highlight the shape of it you can see that it’s clearly the Millenium Falcon!

Another interesting titbit is that the driving footage in the “happy ending” of the theatrical cut is outtakes from The Shining, provided with Kubrick’s blessing.

And you’d probably be surprised to learn how many times in the movie Daryl Hannah’s character is actually played by a man.